For those looking to feel more vigorous and healthy, as well as shed the extra pounds, modern physicians and supporters of alternative medicine offer many different methods. One of them is the water fast , also called a wet fast.
Lack of water is a process in which a person refuses to consume any food for a long time, but at the same time drinks water in unlimited quantities. Controversy still exists as to how effective this method is and how beneficial water fasting is. But numerous reviews indicate that with the right approach to this process, you can reap tangible benefits. This article will discuss how to starve yourself properly with water, what are the benefits and harms of this method, and what results can be obtained by abstaining from
Types of therapeutic fasting
There are several methods of losing weight through fasting. First-time hunger strikers are advised to choose the milder methods.
This type of fast is one of the most difficult, since it involves the rejection not only of food, but also of liquids. There are 2 types of procedures:
- Gentle. The patient can come into contact with water: showering, brushing teeth, swimming, etc. Quenching your thirst is prohibited. This type is suitable for those who are fasting with this method for the first time.
- Hard. Any contact with liquids is completely prohibited. During the procedure, it is recommended that you refuse to cook food for your family members.
Dry fasting is desirable on the same day of the week, for example, on Sundays. The procedure is indicated for people who suffer from excess fluid in the body.
This method of weight loss involves maximum contact with water. What should be done during the application of the procedure:
- Drink water in the amount of 2-3 liters per day. You need to consume liquid through a tube, in small portions.
- Take a warm bath. Cold water can lower immunity, while hot water can cause fainting. Despite the absence of the need to clean the oral cavity from food debris, it is recommended to brush your teeth and tongue, rinse your mouth.
- Stop taking medicine temporarily if it does not harm your health.
- Apply a cleansing enema every night.
For fasting, boiled tap water or still mineral water is suitable.
Water is one of the important components of human health.
A partial hunger strike is a diet that reduces the caloric intake of the daily diet to 200-300 kcal. This diet is recommended for people who are losing weight for the first time by avoiding food. The method is based on filling the stomach with low-calorie foods (low-fat fermented dairy products, fresh fruits and vegetables, cereals in vegetable oil).
Juice-based diets help to obtain quick results, for which orange, carrot, tomato or apple juices are suitable. If the patient has chosen to use cereals to lose weight, preference should be given to millet, pearl barley or buckwheat.
How many days can you go without eating?
Despite the seemingly unequivocal answer, there are different opinions on this. Some sources indicate that without food, subject to water consumption, a person can live up to 2 months. However, this indicator is influenced by several factors: climate, age, initial weight, state of health, etc.
But this does not mean that after such a prolonged hunger, the body can recover to a normal state. Scientists say that after a week without food, active destruction of muscle tissue begins, and after two weeks, tissue destruction of vital organs occurs. Therefore, fasting for 21 days, which some sources describe as a possible recovery option, can turn deadly.
How does hunger work?
Therapeutic fasting is based on the fact that in the course of abstinence from food, the body gradually cleanses itself. First, the gastrointestinal tract is cleansed of toxins. Supporters of this technique argue that the energy that the body routinely expends on digesting food during a period of hunger enables it to activate hidden functions, thus ensuring rejuvenation and recovery. There is also an opinion that in this way you can significantly increase immunity.
What happens when a person stops eating and “sits” in the water for a while? In such a situation, the body is forced to satisfy internal energy needs, using the accumulated reserves. If there is no food, then the body initially consumes stores of glycogen , fat, and later, protein from the tissues. After a few days of starvation, the fatty acid ketone begins to be produced in the body, an excessive amount of which is harmful to the body.
Gradually, during starvation, valuable proteins are destroyed, which is an extremely undesirable process. That is why it is impossible to practice prolonged fasting uncontrollably.
Hunger for water is prescribed in medical institutions as a preventive and curative method. When asked how long you can starve on water, experts always say that abstaining from food, even for several days, is a serious stress on the body.
In medicine, starvation is practiced for a period of 1 to 5 days. As a rule, fasting is prescribed to patients in the period before and after surgery, as well as to people with food allergies , acute pancreatitis .
For longer periods of hunger, special conditions can be met to ensure that resuscitation can be provided quickly. To reduce stress on the body, for longer periods, the so-called cascade fasting is used , when the days of abstinence from food alternate with the days when a person eats.
Therefore, this healing method can be practiced at home without fear only if the period of abstinence from food does not exceed 2 days. The best option to unload the body is to fast on water for 1 day. Fasting for one day provides the body with the general health and cleanliness it needs. But even in this case, it is important to take into account all contraindications.
How to fast to lose weight
Fasting is very stressful on the body. In order for the refusal to eat only to benefit, it is necessary to start and finish the procedure according to the recommendations.
3-4 days before the start of the fast, you should gradually switch to a plant-based diet, exclude sweets and cakes, meat dishes and dairy products with a high percentage of fat. You should reduce the amount of food and you can increase the amount of fluid you drink. Food should be taken in small portions, up to 6 times a day. It is unacceptable to gorge on the future. It is advisable that there is no food left in the house at the beginning of the procedure. The presence of food reduces the motivation to lose weight.
On the first day of fasting, you can do a cleansing enema. With partial fasting, you should take a laxative to cleanse the gastrointestinal tract as much as possible.
It is necessary both to prepare for the fast and to leave it correctly.
Exit from the fast
The correct way to break out of the fast may differ depending on the method chosen:
- Dry. On the first day after the end of the hunger strike, it is allowed to drink 1-2 glasses of boiled water. Other liquids are prohibited. You should also take a cold shower. On the second day, you can include low-fat dairy products, fish, or chicken broth in your diet. On the third day, boiled vegetables and cereals are added to the menu. The consumption of fresh vegetables and fruits is prohibited. It is allowed to return to the usual menu 6-7 days after the end of the fast.
- In water. The length of the recovery period from the water fast should correspond to the duration of the hunger strike itself. On the first day, low-fat dairy products are introduced to the menu. Then you can enter boiled vegetables. Baked or boiled meat and fish can be consumed only for 4-5 days. During the entire launch period, the use of baked goods and alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
- Partial. If the procedure was carried out with fruits and vegetables or juices from them, then on the first day after fasting, you can eat 100-150 g of porridge. The next day, 200 g can already be consumed. If the diet included the use of cereals, dairy products and lean meats should be gradually introduced into the diet. You can switch to the usual menu 3-4 days after the end of the diet.
Varieties of hunger in the water.
- From the point of view of the goals of the food withdrawal process, there is therapeutic and preventive starvation .
- From the point of view of fluid intake, they are distinguished: complete abstinence from food with unlimited intake of water and combined , with alternate water and dry fasting.
- From the point of view of the term, they are distinguished: short – 1-2 days, average 3-7 days, long – 8 days.
There are a series of diseases and conditions in which in no case should food abstinence be practiced:
- oncological processes;
- active tuberculosis ;
- type I diabetes mellitus ;
- bronchiectasis ;
- Circulatory system diseases;
- thyrotoxicosis ;
- diseases of the heart, liver, kidneys;
- thrombophlebitis ;
- nervous exhaustion;
- pregnancy, lactation;
- encephalopathy .
Benefit and harm
Provided that a person strictly adheres to all the rules of preventive hunger, practicing it regularly, you can get a number of positive effects.
- Improving the condition of the skin, cleaning the skin of allergic manifestations, acne .
- Weight loss, improvement of body shape.
- Strengthening the immune system .
- Activation of metabolism .
- Improving the functioning of the digestive system.
- Reduce the amount of food eaten.
- General improvement.
But, with the wrong approach to hunger and excessive enthusiasm for this technique, it can have many negative consequences.
- Exacerbation of chronic diseases.
- Development of new symptoms and unpleasant diseases.
- The return of the extra kilos after the end of the famine.
- Significant loss of muscle mass.
- Psychological immunity to hunger.
- Cosmetic problems: hair loss, thinning of the skin.
- Avitaminosis and deficiency of vital substances.
- Decreased libido
- Health problems after returning to the previous diet.
Those who are interested in how to properly fast in water should know the important rules and take into account all the recommendations.
Beginners should not fast for more than one day. Fasting for a day will not be difficult even for the first-time faster. This will be beneficial to the body, and at the same time, you will not experience significant stress.
It is recommended to fast for preventive purposes several times a year, provided that a person practices a longer abstinence from food. As for one-day hunger, you can stick to it more often – once every 2-3 weeks.
The correct entry is very important and, furthermore, the correct exit from hunger. Initially, a person must tune into this procedure. To do this, it is worth reading authoritative sources and choosing the optimal time for such a practice. It is best to go hungry on weekends, so that on this day you can not work intellectually and physically, but do interesting things that distract you from thinking about food.
A few days before it starts, you need to stop drinking alcohol, smoking, and eating a lot. It is best to prepare light meals, ideally vegetables. The day before the procedure, you can cleanse your intestines by giving yourself an enema or drinking a laxative tea.
Directly on the fasting day, you need to drink water at room temperature throughout the day. The water must be mineral (still, not salty) or distilled. You can drink water in any quantity, as much as you like.
It is better to start the procedure at night. At around 6 pm, you should eat a light meal for dinner and then completely refuse the food during the fast. That is, during the next day, a person drinks only water, and in the morning of the next, a gradual departure from hunger begins.
The most important thing in the exit process is to do it gradually, without starting to eat everything at once. Meals should be light and fractional. In the morning after hunger, you can first drink fresh juice, slightly diluted with water. After a while, it is recommended to eat an apple. Also, after 2 hours, you can eat a small portion of porridge in the water, vegetable salad. For another three days, it is best to minimize salt and not eat protein foods; then the effect of hunger will be maximum.
Only after a person has gone several times a day without eating can they try to starve for 2-3 days. However, abstinence from food for three days is already a more serious stress on the body, so you must prepare for longer and exit from hunger more carefully. After three days without food, it is recommended to start returning to a normal diet with juices diluted in water. But it is best to try a 3-day fast after a visit to the doctor and taking into account his recommendations.
On the Internet, you can find many descriptions of the process of fasting for 7 days from users who claim that this method helped them not only to lose weight, but also to overcome many diseases. However, beginners should not practice the weekly water fast. And even experienced people should not do this without the supervision of a doctor, since such experiments are fraught with a deterioration in well-being and can lead to the development of diseases.
Fast for acidotic crisis (6-12 days)
Long-term refusal of food is a serious test for the body, and therefore the approach must be very responsible. The popular modes “fast on water for 7 days” and “fast on water for 10 days” are equal in their force of action and are the transition of the body to a higher level of nutrition with the full use of internal reserves. It is these processes in the body that mark the beginning of an acidotic crisis.
The effectiveness of fasting for a week or more is as follows:
- increases immunity;
- the body cleans itself;
- the body is rejuvenated;
- the skin is rejuvenated and cleansed;
- a person completely gets rid of bad habits;
- old and diseased tissues are destroyed;
- the body’s ability to regenerate is enhanced.
Water fasting for 10 days or more gives a longer-term and more pronounced effect than a 3-day fast.
Recommendations to prepare for a long fast (before an acidotic crisis):
- Experience 1-2-3 days of fasting. This will make it easier to avoid food for a long time.
- Clean the body: intestines, liver, kidneys to minimize possible poisoning.
- Do your first fast of a week or more while on vacation.
- All other recommendations are no different from those related to short fasting.
It is important to understand that prolonged refusal to eat will cause some discomfort, which will manifest itself in the following symptoms:
- dizziness attacks;
- frequent headache;
- dark color of urine or its strong cloudiness;
- whitish coating on the tongue;
- the smell of acetone from the mouth and body;
After the onset of a crisis, all the listed symptoms will gradually disappear.
It is not recommended to leave the 7-day fast, that is, during the start of an acidotic crisis. There are a number of reasons for this:
- The effectiveness of the diet increases several times after the acidotic crisis (14-40 days). The benefits increase with each additional day of fasting.
- The transition of the body to internal reserves and self-sufficiency is a lot of stress, the departure and normal nutrition is even more stress. To minimize the consequences, it is necessary to continue fasting until the end of the acidotic crisis.
- After a crisis, fasting as a process is much easier to tolerate. Those who have reached this stage find that they want to continue fasting.
Fasting in water for 7 days, according to hungry people, is effective in itself, but getting out of it is much more difficult than from any other course.
However, if it is necessary to interrupt the diet precisely during a crisis, you should be guided by the tips for exiting the fast after an acidotic crisis (14-40 days), which are presented below.